Zaaluk is a spicy authentic Moroccan salad based on mashed eggplants and tomatoes flavored with many spices. Moroccan families usually serve it as appetizers that go with principle meals namely Tagine or Marqa. It can be prepared in just few minutes and may be served alone with some bread for quick snacks. Since it is spicy, it helps stimulating the appetite. In the Middle East they have a somehow similar salad called Baba Ghanouj. People usually eat it cold, but you may also enjoy its irresistible spicy taste while it is still hot.
- 3 eggplants.
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and cut into cubes.
- ¼ cup chopped parsley.
- 4 minced cloves of garlic.
- 4 tbsp olive oil.
- 1 tsp paprika.
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt.
- ¼ tsp black pepper.
- ½ tsp cayenne (optional).
- Peel the eggplants and cut them into cubes then boil them in water.
- In a pan on a medium fire, put tomatoes, garlic, parsley and spices with oil and stir from time to time till you get .
- Strain eggplants from water and mash them then add them to the sauce in the pan and keep stirring to mix everything well.
- Let cook for 5 minutes or more until it becomes nearly dry.
- Put lemon slices and some olives then serve it (hot or cold) with bread.